QAVTC Child Care Program Runs Preschool During School Day

Aaron Sullivan, Staff Writer

In the child care program, which is hosted in the QAVTC, the high school students who are there to help Cinda Hummel, teacher, are divided into two teams. The preschoolers have play time, circle time, story time, small groups, snacks, and gross motor play. The high school students lead them all.

“Any high school student who wants to join should have an interest in children and a Child Development class,” Hummel said.

During this class, field trips are taken over to the QHS buildings and preschool students explore the QHS theater department and science departments. The high school students take field trips outside of the school to check out different varieties of classroom settings from different schools.

“During Child Care I and II, we operate a preschool four days a week, which means we have a morning preschool and an afternoon preschool,” Hummel said.

During 3rd quarter, Child Care I students were given a $6,000 budget to furnish their classroom. Child Care II students also have a big project where they must complete a room arrangement on a 3D model program.

“Interested students should take Child Development upon entry so that they can get a taste or feel for what’s going on and if they want to attend this year long class or not,” said Hummel.

This class is also a two hour block.