Art Students “Beautify The School” Through Their Murals

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

Art Club and art classes have been painting murals around the school since 2010, when Blane Barnes, art teacher, started painting them. Art students say it adds color to the school.

“[The murals] take away from the blank walls and add a welcoming [touch] to the school,” Madeline Estepp, senior, said.

Junior Jaden Raney also agrees.

“It makes the hallways entertaining to walk through,” Raney said.

The  murals add colorful touches to the school as well.

“[We paint them] to beautify the school and to share our creative talents,” Barnes said.

In total, the art club and art students have painted seven murals since 2010. One in the cafeteria has been torn down due to the addition of the new building but there are several murals in the cafeteria, one in the new building by the school bus doors, one across from the main office, one in A building (between the two art rooms), and another one in the stairwell leading to the library from P.E.

“I helped paint the one in A building and this is the first time I have helped paint the murals,” Raney said.

While this is Raney’s first year, Estepp has painted the murals for two years at QHS.

“I did touch ups in the cafeteria, Blue Devil in the new building and the mural in A building,” she said.

Although there are no specific plans for new murals at the moment, Barnes, Estepp and Raney all said there is always room for more art.

“There is always space, new additions, new ideas and we are always looking for suggestions,” Barnes said.