Arrival “Every Bit Worth The Academy Award It Received”

Tae'ana Johnson, Staff Writer

Eric Heissener, screenplay writer of Arrival, illustrates a scenario of alien invasion unconventionally. It’s very typical to see an alien invasion movie that results in Earth being in a state of complete desolation. However, this Academy Award winning film based upon the short story “Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang does not conform to the violent notion associated with such an event.

Amy Adams plays the role of Louise Banks whose multilingual talents land her in a pivotal position. Louise’s understanding of the importance of communication is vital to the continuance of the human race. Arrival exposes the fault in communication that lingers in our society and how it effects everything.

It’s no secret that the world we live in has many barriers when it comes to communicating with one another, let alone with beings we are unfamiliar with. In this film, the entire world goes into a state of emergency when alien space craft arrives in 12 locations for an unknown purpose. It becomes Louise’s job to decipher what the aliens want.Every choice Louise makes either puts the world at ease or on edge. With high hopes of solving the issue at hand, she makes a monumental and potentially lethal decision. Heissener created the perfect situation to hone in on the importance of understanding before reacting.

Anyone who has ever taken a foreign language understands the difficulty of not only interpreting but accepting the difference in culture. Heissener allows the audience to see how even some of the slightest misjudgments from either side could destroy everything. He takes a seemingly impossible situation and transforms it into something everyone can relate to.

All the elements of Arrival, including the outstanding performance given, combined with a beautiful musical score and a magnificent plot, could lead one to the conclusion that this was every bit worth the Academy Award it received.

Arrival deserves a 5 out of 5 rating for its creativity and execution of the plot; everything from beginning to end was captivating.