GSA Holds Soup Supper To Benefit Students

Chase Miller, Staff Writer

The congregations of Salem Evangelical United Church of Christ and Unitarian Church are much closer than they were before to the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) of Quincy High School. On Saturday, March 18, the GSA held a soup and sermon event at Salem Church. It was called “A Better Biblical View of Homosexuality And Why It’s Not a Sin.”

The event started at five in the evening. During the event, GSA members helped people to their seats, served soup, and picked up trays. Afterwards, they washed the dishes. The GSA served soup to about 70 people.

When the time came for the message, Reverend Hunt intrigued the event attendees. Junior Micah Eggley said that the attendees liked the message and that they were “very caring and open-minded.”

Senior Victoria Ward said she was “moved by the respectfulness” of the attendees. Hunt is the one that came up with the idea to have the event in the first place, initially presenting the idea to the GSA in January.

The money from the ticket sales combined with a few donations added up to about $820.

“We have a really healthy fund right now,” Jenni Moran, GSA sponsor, said. The GSA is planning on using the money to pay for T-shirts and buttons. They will use the T-shirts to promote awareness for their club. The buttons will be sold to raise money. They are currently in the brainstorming phase for making a design for the T-shirts and buttons.

The GSA is also planning on using a portion of the money to buy books that will be donated to the QHS library. The books will be centered around gay characters so that the GSA can help readers become more familiar with the LGBTQ+ community.

According to Eggley, an event like this was all about “getting the word out” because “people don’t quite understand” the LGBTQ+ community.

An event such as the soup supper has three main purposes. It helps to “unite the GSA members” inwardly and also “the church communities” outwardly, Ward said.

It also brings awareness to the community of what the GSA would like people to know, namely that “a person’s sexual orientation does not affect their spiritual life.” The GSA wants to raise awareness so that they can “bring the LGBTQ+ community” and other communities “closer together.” That way, they can “function better as a support group,” Ward said.

Lastly, the event provides funding that the GSA needs for T-shirts, buttons, and books. These funds will make it so that the GSA can “more easily branch out to the community to communicate that they are there to help,” Ward added.

Towards the end of the event, some of the attendees stuck around to talk to the GSA. Sophomore Joey Alston said that the attendees shared stories and experiences with the GSA and also expressed how proud they were of them. Alston said that this was her favorite part of the whole event. Alston went on to say that events such as the soup supper “draw people with similar experiences closer together” and “help them to get to know and learn from each other.”

The GSA is hoping to coordinate with Parents and Friends of Lesbians And Gays (PFLAG) to walk in the Dogwood Parade together.