Students Have Opportunity To Graduate With CNA License

Lauren

Lauren

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

A career in the medical field is very popular. There are endless medical jobs that are available. A good way to see if you want to be in the medical field is to take Health Occupations and/or Careers in Health Care in high school. You can get involved with HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) thorough Health Occupations. This club helps the community with many activities.

“We play bingo with the residents at Good Sam, collect items with Quanda, and host the American Red Cross blood drives at school,” Mary Winking, senior, said.

This club has also impacted HOSA students as well.

“It has impacted me because it is a fun experience and we learn [new things] through HOSA,” sophomore Jacob Bartusch said. Through their involvement in HOSA, Winking and Bartusch plan to be in the medical field when they get through college.

“I intend to take nursing in college to become a nurse practitioner,” Winking said.

Bartusch also agrees. “I would like to get my RN license to become a nurse,” he said.

All grades are welcome to be in HOSA and in Careers in Health Care; however, you must be at least a sophomore to take Health Occupations 1 and at least a junior for Health Occupations 2 and 3. Trantor recommends that you take Careers in Health Care before Health Occupations but it is not required.

If you are thinking about going into the medical field, these classes are a good way to start and by joining HOSA you can get a clearer idea of what medical job you want.

“There are many employment opportunities in health care. Several students are employed at the age of 16 years and then continue to build on skills and employment opportunities. Many students continue post secondary studies in a health care field,” Trantor said.

Health Occupations also helps you get your CNA license. A CNA is a certified nursing assistant.

“We help [patients] do things we take for granted,” Winking said.

You can get further information from Trantor or any students that have gotten their CNA license.