CMAs Should Have Had A Different Outcome

One Student's Perspective On The Award Show

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

The Academy of Country Music Awards (CMAs) is an annual award ceremony. The very first CMAs were in 1995. The 2017 CMAs awards were held in the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada and hosted by Luke Bryan and Dierks Bentley.

The show started off with Jason Aldean singing “Lights Come On”, a 2016 hit. Although I like Aldean, this wasn’t one of his best songs. Aldean should have opened with “Big Green Tractor”, a 2009 hit. This song is listed on multiple different websites as his top song.

Award Winners

Song of the Year: Thomas Rhett’s “Die A Happy Man”

I actually really do like this song but “Kill A Word” by Eric Church was nominated and that is one of my favorites. It is upbeat and catchy. Church kills words he doesn’t like. For example, “I’d poison never, shoot goodbye.” This song has a strong meaning and it is very powerful.

Vocal Group: Little Big Town

Little Big Town is an awesome group, don’t get me wrong, but Old Dominion is a newer vocal group and newer groups should get awards too. Old Dominion’s group members are young and get their fans hyped up for their performances.

Album: The Weight of These Wings by Miranda Lambert

Now, who doesn’t love Miranda Lambert? She is amazing. Florida Georgia Line’s Dig Your Roots album was nominated and that should have won. If you are a pop country music fan, surely you have listened to a song on the Dig Your Roots album. May We All, FLG’s 2016 hit, is a very big and popular song. And if you watch the video, it has a very powerful meaning behind it.

Female Vocalist: Miranda Lambert

Once again, Miranda Lambert is amazing but it is nice once in a while to offer awards to new vocalists and this year that was Kacey Musgraves. Musgraves is a newer and younger vocalist that has hit songs as well. “Merry Go ‘Round”, a 2013 hit, it still a big song. This song talks about different people’s perspectives on Mary. For example, “Mommas hooked on Mary Kay.”

Entertainer of the Year: Jason Aldean

This is the biggest award given. Jason Aldean is amazing but if you saw the ending performance of FGL, they should’ve gotten it. FGL are very upbeat and it always laughing with their fans. FGL ended the show with the Backstreet Boys and that ending really put FGL as big entertainers.

Like I said, the show ended with a performance by FGL and the Backstreet Boys. They sang “Everybody” by the Backstreet Boys and come on, who doesn’t know that song? It was a nice touch to get the big crowd hyped up.

For the whole list of the awards given and the winners, go to this website: http://www.acmawards.com/winners