A Day In The Life Of The School Nurses

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

QHS nurses are one thing that hold our school together. Without Kelly Lammers and Kim Knotts, there would be many sick and injured kids at our school.

Lammers and Knotts do so much more for QHS than we think.

“We do 1,900 records. That is more than the students at QHS. We do records for Chaddock, ABC, Transitions, Adams County and more,” Lammers said.

Besides all the records the nurses must keep, they take care of injuries and sickness.

“We treat a lot of falls, volleyball injuries in PE, and headaches and colds when the flu hits,” Knotts said.

Although treating injuries can be difficult, the nurses say there are some high points of being a school nurse.

“We love to chit-chat with the students, we have a restroom that is always available, everyday is different, we get snow days, holidays and spring break off,” Lammers said. “There are a couple things we do wish we had as school nurses. An x-ray machine or x-ray vision and telepathy powers.”

Lammers and Knotts both said that even though their day is different, there is one big thing that never changes.

“We have a routine when we get here. We turn off the alarm system, unlock everything, turn on computers, and open up the medicine cabinets,” Knotts said.

Both say that nursing is a broad field and there are many options in the medical/nursing field.

A Day In The Life Of The School Nurses