FFA Students Attend State Livestock Judging In Campaign

Reece Harvey, Alec Kline, Alexis Wolf, 
Micah Fairley, and Allie Schafer stand in front of the building where judging is to take place.

Reece Harvey, Alec Kline, Alexis Wolf, Micah Fairley, and Allie Schafer stand in front of the building where judging is to take place.

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

Micah Fairley, junior, Alec  Kline, sophomore, and Alexis Wolf, Allie Schafer and Reece Harvey, freshmen, five of Quincy Senior High’s FFA/ag participants, will be heading to University of Illinois in Campaign for State Livestock Judging on April 28. They will be judging different animals on certain dimensions and size.

“They will be judging [beef cows], pigs, sheep and goats,” Kelly Weiman, teacher, said.

Although there are certain standards to judge by, Fairley said he looks for different things as well.

“I judge and know what is the best by the biggest, healthiest and strongest animal,” he said.

Weiman and participants said they have studied a lot for this competition.

“We watched Youtube videos, reviewed and did packets,” Schafer said.

Weiman agreed, “I taught a unit in class and had them watch online videos. We also visited John Wood Community College and Western’s [livestock] contests,” she said.

All students said that these contests will benefit them in the future or real world by preparing for future jobs and knowing more about animals.

“It prepares us to increase the production of [agriculture],” Wolf said.

Harvey agrees but said it is more about the animals.

“We get a better [understanding] and knowledge of animals,” he said.