A Day In The Life Of A Dean: Kristina Klingele

Chase Miller, Staff Writer

In a school the size of QHS, the principal cannot be solely in charge of everything that goes on. He or she needs support staff to assist them, such as deans.

Dean Kristina Klingele said that in a smaller school, the principal “wears all the hats” and takes care of discipline.

However, Klingele said that the job of a dean goes far beyond just discipline. Her job involves undertaking investigations and creating reports. She helps students resolve conflicts (such as drama on social media, a frequent occupation of Klingele’s time), as well as helps them create plans.

Klingele started as a PE teacher at the junior high. After that, she was a Driver’s Ed. teacher for ten years. She has also coached track and field, cross country, and volleyball. Beginning in the 2015-2016 school year, she began her current job as the dean for the junior class.

In order to get to the position that she is in, Klingele had to first get a teaching degree and then an administrative degree. She also took some sociology and psychology classes for the purpose of understanding other people’s points of view. This helps her in her job by allowing her to connect with students and other staff members from many different backgrounds.