Boys Tennis Team Improves During Season

Chase Miller, Staff Writer

The QHS boys tennis team greatly improved during this season.

Senior Jake Terry said that the team improved overall “by being influenced by each other.”

The team prepared for matches by practicing for about two hours every Monday through Thursday.

Sophomore Greysen Arns said that he practices with a friend in his free time besides just practicing with the team.

The team had tournaments on Fridays and Saturdays.

This year, the team is losing seniors Josh Daly, Andrew Vonderheide, Ben Oakley and Terry.

Coach Mike Terry said that he is going to miss this “tremendous group of players.”

The Western Big Six match, which happened on the weekend of Mother’s Day, was really important to the team. They received third place. The match wasn’t crucial to qualifying for State or Sectionals, but Oakley said that a victory there is something to be proud of.

It is also a point of pride to beat QND. According to Coach Terry, the team beat QND 9-0 twice this season.

Sectionals were last weekend. The team didn’t win Sectionals, but Coach Terry felt that the team performed well. Both doubles teams made it into Sectionals. The doubles were Oakley and Vonderheide, and Arns and sophomore Blake Hayden.

Oakley said that “the community is blessed to have the Quincy Racket Club” because it offers classes and private lessons over the summer.

Boys Tennis Team Improves During Season