QAVTC Provides Students Multiple Opportunities

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

tories” stories=”1247,1049,970,1197″ align=”left” background=”on” border=”all” shadow=”on”]

If are on the second floor above the cafeteria and walk across the catwalk, you will notice that there is another school connected to QHS.

Quincy Area Vocational Technical Center (QAVTC) offers programs that are not offered at other schools. These programs include Agriculture (which is the newest), Business Management, Child Care, Commercial Foods, Computer Aided Drafting & Design, Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM), Construction, Diesel Equipment Technology, Digital Electronics (DE), Electronics, Graphic Communications, Health Occupations, Introduction to Engineering Design (IED), Manufacturing Technician, Precision Metals, Principles of Engineering, Welding and 3D Modeling & Animation.

Kaleb Smith, QAVTC Curriculum Facilitator and Project Lead The Way pre-engineering instructor, said that students can get involved in these programs by talking to any adult that has information on the courses offered.

Students should “talk to their counselor or come over to the vocational center and talk to Gena Finley who is the vo-tech program coordinator.  [They also should] look for us when we are promoting things,” Smith said. “Keep your eyes open when you see the QAVTC logo.”

Smith added that QAVTC also offers club opportunities for students enrolled in the courses there. The Ag program now includes an opportunity to belong to FFA. Health occupations students can join HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) and there is also Skills USA, formerly known as Robotics Club.

Students from area schools also attend QAVTC.

“[Other schools] are part of a larger partnership that allows [students] to come and take our courses.  The reason they do come here is because we provide a lot of opportunities those schools don’t provide and can’t provide because of their size,” Smith said.