Softball Strikes Out The Competition

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

With softball season coming, the girls are beginning to prepare for games  within the next few  months.

“I’ve already told several of the girls that I think they’re at a crossroads right now and they could really shock  some  people and surprise  some people in the coming season. If they come in wanting it to happen, I think they can have an  exceptional  season,” head coach Darrell Henze said.

Within the coming season, the team will also participate in several important tournaments.

“The Western Big 6 will be tough as far as competing.  We also have a tournament in Springfield where we will be playing three games, and we have our home tournament that we will be playing here as well,” Henze said.

With the hype building for these tournaments, expectations for the team are set high.

Henze tells his players to, “come in and push yourself, as hard and as fast as you can go. When you try to practice  as fast as you can and truly focus  at practice, the game begins to slow down  and becomes a lot easier. [Another expectation is] to not  focus on the mistakes but develop the knowledge in order to correct them on your own.”

With a new season  always comes new  challenges.

“With any year, pitching is a challenge.  All my  pitchers are coming back this year as sophomores,  and  they got a lot of experience  last year. The  biggest challenge probably  for them is still learning the game and  handling emotions and channeling those  into energy on the field,” Henze said.

Softball Strikes Out The Competition