Skills USA Plans To Participate in Competition for Robotics and Engineering

Chase Miller, Staff Writer

Skills USA  was created in order to give students an opportunity to earn scholarships and to get students more invested in their classes.

Skills USA completes community projects and prepares for competitions. Although they haven’t completed any projects yet, there is one upcoming competition and another if they get approved.

Skills USA includes vocational fields such as engineering, diesel tech, graphics, robotics, business and electronics. Senior Samantha Ward said that her favorite part of being in the club is the “mechanical part” and “figuring out how stuff works.”

The group is preparing for the Regional competition for robotics and engineering . This competition will take place at the Vocational Technical Center.

The club is also awaiting a response from organizers on whether they can participate in the State competition. The State competition takes place at the Lincoln Convention Center in Springfield. Businesses contribute resources for the students to use to compete.

Senior Josh Hoffman said that he is nervous about the competitions because he has never done one before, but he thinks they will be fun.

Students can get involved in Skills USA by talking to their instructors.  Students do not have to be in a vocational class to join, but it is recommended.

Sophomore JD Vogel said that Spanish teacher Mike McKinley helped him make the decision to join the club. McKinley insisted that Vogel join because it can help him with college readiness.

Senior Charly Wollaston said that she got involved through the vocational teachers Kaleb Smith and Kristen McKenna.

Students will have to fill out an application that highlights some of the rules and expectations of the club and get a parent signature.  There is also a $16 fee to join.  Meetings are held on Mondays from 2:30 to 3:30 in F105.