Athlete Spotlight: Maggie Schutte

Chase Miller, Staff Writer

Junior Maggie Schutte is the holder of five school records in track and field.

Schutte completed the 100 meter hurdles in 14.84 seconds, the 300 meter hurdles in 45.25 seconds, and the 4 by 100 meter relay in 51.2 seconds. Schutte’s height on the pole vault was 11 feet, and her distance on the triple jump was 36 feet and 10 1/2 inches.

Schutte has competed against athletes from places such as St. Louis, Edwardsville, and the schools from the Western Big Six. Schutte competes against seven other athletes. They are selected by putting the initial amount of 30 athletes through a process of four or five heats.

Schutte said that she is always “keeping [her] body ready.” Schutte practices daily, and participates in a range of activities throughout the year, including tumbling, cheering, dance, and workouts. Schutte likes to push herself to perform better. But she also said that taking a break from working out is essential.

Schutte said that it is always exciting when she breaks a new record, but she knows that she is capable of more. It gives her a sense of pride, but she knows that she can still improve. One of her goals is to beat all of her coaches’ times.

Schutte has been involved in track since her 8th grade year. She joined just for fun– some of her friends were trying out for track and she decided to join them. That first year, Schutte performed at a level that she described as “somewhat decent.”

Then, in her 9th grade year, she went to a meet and performed in the 60 meter hurdles event. She placed first. She knew that she had found something she was good at.

Schutte hopes to continue her track and field career in college. She said that there are “lots of good perks” to running track in college, such as helping with the cost of tuition and keeping herself in shape.

Athlete Spotlight: Maggie Schutte