Athlete Spotlight: Lydia Kurfman

"Track has helped me to be a hard worker and be dedicated in all areas of my life."

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

Lydia Kurfman, sophomore, has been on the track team for three years and has broken the 3200 meter record this year.

Kurfman said that breaking the record was a “cool and an exciting moment” when she found out. She is proud of her accomplishments in track and plans to continue her training during the upcoming cross country season.

“My teammates and coaches are my biggest motivation [and inspiration],” Kurfman said.

She prepares for meets by running long distances and doing workouts on the track.

Kurfman has been involved with softball in the past and recalls it as a place where she better learned how to be a part of a team.

She plans to continue participating in track throughout her high school career. It has become a big part of her life.

“Track has given me amazing experiences, unforgettable friendships, and an overall better quality of life,” she said.

“I guess when I had to choose between playing softball or track [was when I realized how important track was to me],” said Kurfman.

She plans to continue her track career through college and continue to set new personal records. She also wants to continue to improve by “working hard, staying competitive, and just listening to [her] coaches.”

Lydia has yet to decide what she wants to do for a career but she knows she wants to go into something that has to do with athletics and overall health of people.

Athlete Spotlight: Lydia Kurfman