Assistant Principal Sarah Gass Ready For The Opportunities QHS Brings

Tae'ana Johnson, Staff Writer

After former assistant principal Jody Steinke became the new principal, Dr. Sarah Gass joined the QHS staff as the new assistant principal.

Gass left her career as a principal of Chester (Illinois) High School because this was an opportunity to expand her career but also to be with her family.

“My husband is the orchestra director here, so this was just an amazing opportunity for us to all be together in the same town, work in the same school and really make Quincy our home,” Gass said.

Although she still feels it’s difficult to leave her past behind, Gass has expressed her gratitude for this opportunity.

“I was very close with my faculty, staff, and students at Chester. I miss them, but I also love the opportunities and the new things that I get to learn at Quincy. I always like learning and developing and growing. So I feel as though Quincy is going to help do that,” Gass said.

Gass’ position as an assistant principal requires her to put forth  a lot of energy to help accommodate others. Her most significant associate is the principal because it’s her responsibility to help Steinke whenever necessary. Gass also directs lots of her attention toward the curriculum and making sure it coordinates with the state laws and requirements.  It’s her job to focus  on the instructive aspect of the curriculum.

Gass has grown to enjoy many things about QHS.

“I like the sense of team and community here. Everyone has been so sweet and helpful trying to get me up to speed about how things work around here and just being patient with me when I ask questions,” Gass said.

Gass has numerous goals for the school and herself already.

She said her “number one goal is to simply understand what is currently taking place in Quincy High School and what’s been done in the past.”

For her personal goal she plans to focus on growth. “You can learn so much from the people around you. I learn so much from my colleagues, teachers, students. There’s something you can learn from everyone,” Gass said.

Gass also hopes to bring a more interactive relationship between faculty and students.

“One of the best things about my old job was that with a smaller school, students came and talked to the principal and assistant principal making that connection. I think that’s so important, even in a school this size that students know if there’s a problem you can go talk to your teachers or counselors, but also the assistant principal is available to answer any questions you have,” Gass said.

Before Gass’s career in administration began, she attended several different colleges, acquiring many different degrees. She went to University of Champaign where she received her Bachelor’s Degree in Math. Later, she became a math teacher as well. Gass received her Specialist Degree at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. She also attended Mckendree University to receive her Doctorate Degree.

• Feature

Social Media: The Good, The Bad, And The Dirty

• Assistant Principal Sarah Gass Ready For The Opportunities QHS Brings

News

Students Feel That Sometimes Teachers Give Too Much Homework

A&E

” The show keeps you on your toes every minute it’s on,”

News

Seniors to get out 6 days early

Showcase

Students Should Prepare To Take The SAT On April 10

News

Mr. QHS Contestants Raise Money For Charity

Sports

Two Track Runners Get Ready For Their Last Year

Feature

The Real Effects Of CTE

Opinion

Why Students Should Be Able To Park Without Paying

A&E

QHS Presents: On The Bridge At Midnight