Girls Tennis Plans For Another State Appearance

Tae'ana Johnson, Staff Writer

The girls tennis team hopes to win 90% of their matches in order to attend the state tournament this season.

Coach Mike Terry  recognizes that he’s lost some valuable senior players from the previous year. However, he notes that preparation is essential to achieving their goal of playing in the state tournament.

“We lost three seniors who played varsity for three years: Alexis Petty, Sydney Johnston, and Amelia Kolthoff. They were excellent Blue Devil tennis players and Alexis qualified for state the past two years.  We work very hard early in the season to be ready for match play. We practice and drill but the most important thing is getting plenty of match play early to get used to the speed and intensity of actual matches,” Terry said.

Taylor Degitz, senior, feels that the season will reflect on all the hard work everyone has put forth.

“We usually play matches against each other for practice.We also practice different techniques and different ways of hitting. So far the season has gone pretty well; I think it will continue to go on a good path,” Degitz said.

Coach Terry agrees with Degitz.”We just finished 4th out of 16 teams at the Springfield tournament so I would say we are going to have a great year as we improve. I honestly feel with our young players and our seniors we are going to have a fantastic years,” he added.

Both Degitz and Terry feel as though preparation and practice has spurred them into becoming better players.

“As a team we have showed improvement. Many of our players have very little varsity experience so by playing matches they are learning what it takes to win at the next level,” Terry explained.

Terry acknowledges that not every team QHS plays against is an easy match. Dedication and team work are essential to being the best team they can be.

” All of our conference tournaments at Moline, Rock Island, and later Edwardsville are very strong so we really prepare for those. We also really work hard to be ready for Sectionals as well,” Terry said.

Degitz understands there’s more to gain from being a part of a team than statistics; she feels it’s important aim toward progressing.

“I hope to become a better tennis player, and just have fun,” Degitz said.

Practice is held at Reservoir Park on 24th and Chestnut from 3:30 to 5:30. Their matches are free of charge to attend.

Tae'ana Johnson, Staff Writer

Tae'ana, a freshman, has a passion for all forms of expression but especially favors writing.  "It's a privilege to be able to advocate for the student...