The Real Effects Of CTE

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

CTE is a disease that is causing a lot of debate among doctors and sports athletes. Studies are showing new results that are causing these debates.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma. This is a known disease among athletes because of the trauma to their brains. CTE is commonly found after a concussion but studies are showing that may not be the only reason.

Recently, CNN posted “It’s not concussions that cause CTE. It’s repeated hits, a study finds”Dr. Lee Goldstein and his colleagues have found evidence to prove this by evaluating the brains of four former and deceased athletes. Their evidence concluded that concussions do not cause CTE but repeated hits do. Also, CTE is not only found in athletes. People in the military that are exposed to bombs being blown up have the capability to get CTE in their lifetime. While they are not getting hit by the bomb, the impact when they bomb hits near them causes CTE.

CTE is a disease that causes memory loss, rage and, mood swings, similar to Alzheimer’s disease. The fact that CTE occurs very quickly after you are hit makes me realize that everyone should know the dangers of CTE. The amount of people getting CTE is extremely high.

“A recent evaluation from Boston University’s CTE Center found that 110 of 111 former NFL players had been diagnosed with the disease,” CNN said in their article.

On October 1, 2017 I suffered a concussion. With going to neurologists, sports medicine doctors, and a physical therapist, the effects of CTE had me scared. While my head was not hit more than once, CTE still crossed my mind.

Athletes do not fully understand the danger they are putting themselves in when they go to play a game, especially football players. Their helmets get thrown off all the time and they get hit head on.

Even though there is still evidence to be found about CTE, everyone should be aware of it’s causes and it’s effects.

The Real Effects Of CTE