Students Feel That Sometimes Teachers Give Too Much Homework

Emily Hoover, Staff Writer

Homework is a natural part of being a student, yet the amount they receive on a nightly basis can make them feel overwhelmed. 

Michelle Deege, a Geometry teacher, gives ” homework to students about three out of five days a week. Students [in my general classes] spend about twenty minutes a day on homework and my honors students spend about thirty minutes a day on homework,” she added 

Deege believes that “homework gives students a chance to practice the skills taught in class and gives students [an] opportunity to get help before a test or quiz.” 

Deege said that most students complete homework given to them because they care and don’t want to fall behind in class. 

“About eighty percent [of my students] complete their homework,” she said. “[Students] don’t want to fall behind in class. The students also know that each lesson builds on the next,” she said.  

Deege also believes that some of students feel overwhelmed with homework because the type of classes they take. 

“My honors students spend about thirty minutes on homework for my class, but they get a lot of homework in other classes, so they may feel overwhelmed,” she said. “My general classes get about twenty minutes of homework a day and get less homework from other teachers, [so they are less overwhelmed],” she said.   

Deege offers the following to stay caught up and less overwhelmed in her class: “If any student feels they are falling behind, they should ask for help immediately. I stay after school on certain days to help students who are struggling. Students should do homework during homeroom classes.” [Lastly], students should prioritize what homework needs to be done first. [If you don’t know how to solve a problem], skip it and move to the next one.” 

Haylie Danker, sophomore, feels that she gets a lot of homework in classes like “Great Ideas and AP U.S History.” 

Haylie spends about three to four hours on homework a day.  

Danker often feels overwhelmed with homework because she gets a lot to do in just one night and “if you fall behind and don’t do the homework, it’s hard to catch back up,” she said. 

Danker doesn’t feel homework helps her on tests and quizzes except in math because [her] other tests are different content than the homework.”  

Harrison Oakes, sophomore, doesn’t feel that he gets a lot of homework and usually does it during the school day. 

“I usually don’t get much homework, so it’s easy,” he said. “I just don’t feel overwhelmed,” Oakes said. 

Oakes feels that homework doesn’t help him on tests or quizzes “because it’s never the same as what’s on the tests.” 

Christopher Withiem, Consumer Education and World History teacher, doesn’t give homework because “students are busy enough as it is.”  

Withiem feels that homework helps with tests scores, but also feels that “time for guidance is important. Students may feel lost at home, so homework at school gives them a chance to ask for help,” he said. 

Withiem believes that the homework he assigns should be “finished in class and not outside of class because students are busy and worn out.” 

Withiem states that teachers give too much homework, so students feel “miserable because homework is so constant.” 

Withiem suggests that students who feel overwhelmed with homework should “try to finish homework throughout the day at school, in the library, or at lunch.” 

Michael Stephens, AP Government, Sociology, and Government teacher, said he gives “very minimal homework to his students with a three to five-day notice before giving the homework.”  

Stephens believes that homework helps with test and quiz scores.  

“I give students a chapter to read and study before class, so when they come back to school they are just relearning the material for the second time,” Stephens added. 

Stephens states that most of his students complete their homework because “they see the value of it for the test.” 

“Talk to your teacher when you feel overwhelmed because a lot of them are understanding,” Stephens suggested. 

Bree Barnes, junior, gets about an hour of homework a day, but it usually takes her “an hour or two” to finish. 

Barnes usually feels “overwhelmed close to finals because teachers try to get [everything fit in] before finals.”  

Barnes feels that only homework in physics and math help her score better on tests and quizzes. 

• Students Feel That Sometimes Teachers Give Too Much  Homework

News

Semesters Only School Year

News

Get Out And Vote

News

Seniors Round Out The Year With An All Night Party

• News

Physics Students Are St. Louis Bound

News

Seniors to get out 6 days early

News

Mr. QHS Contestants Raise Money For Charity

News

FFA Holds Second Annual Agriculture Auction

News

D Building Gets A New Water Fountain

• News

Technology Takeover: Schoology Has An Active Role In Classrooms

• News

QHS Welcomes Nine New Teachers