The Kissing Booth “was basically a teen cliche”

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

The Kissing Booth follows teenagers Elle Evans and her best friend Lee Flynn, who just happens to have a super attractive older brother named Noah.

The movie is most definitely your regular teen romance story. There is nothing really different aside from the fact that the girl is falling for her best friend’s brother rather than her best friend. This, however, doesn’t make the movie bad. I thought the movie was actually really good and proved a point at the end: even through hardships, a strong friendship can make it through anything.

Throughout the movie both Lee and Elle mention a list of rules that they have made up over the course of their friendship and one of the rules just so happens to be that you can’t date each others siblings. This rule is brought up several times along with others that Elle has broken which lead her to feel guilty about lying to Lee.

Like I said, the movie was basically a teen cliche but it works so well that I’m not even mad about it. Plus it had an amazing soundtrack that featured several 80’s classics like “Safety Dance” and “Don’t You (Forget About Me).”

What I didn’t like about the movie is that there was a bunch of inner turmoil throughout the story for Elle. Don’t get me wrong, that’s pretty accurate to real life when you are doubting relationships, but when you are trying to enjoy a simple Netflix love story, it’s not as important as character development through the actions of other characters. A lot of the turmoil came from the rules which at times played too much into the story for me.

Overall I give this movie a 6/10. This movie didn’t really hit home or stick with me very much but for a simple and cute story, it did its part very well.