P.E. Should Not Be A Graduation Requirement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

It is understandable why schools invest time and money into physical education classes. Many kids in America suffer from health problems due to childhood obesity either because of the homes they live in or their own bad eating and exercising choices. However, Illinois is only one of six states that actually require P.E. to be a part of the school day from kindergarten through high school.

I find it odd that QHS requires students to take four years of P.E. while our counterparts over at QND are only required to take one year out of the same four year high school experience that we all take. While I do find P.E. to be a necessary evil, I think one year is too little and four years is excessive.

I know for QHS that there are other ways to fill the P.E. requirement. Drivers Ed, both behind the wheel and classroom, take up a combined total of a half credit and health in your junior year takes another half credit off of the P.E. requirement. You can also fill these requirements by being in sports or band.

If you’re not musically inclined or good at sports, you find yourself in the gym dressing out every day for three years of high school. This isn’t ideal for people who choose to play sports outside of school or practice music as individuals.

QHS doesn’t recognize outside sports as a way to get P.E. credit. In my case, I take dance outside of school and I’m in my studio four nights a week anywhere from an hour and a half to three and a half hours a week. In total I dance 11 and a half hours a week. In a regular school week, the students who go to gym and dress out everyday will only get four hours and 25 minutes of physical activity in a week if they do no exercise outside of school.

All in all, I feel that having to have four P.E. credits to graduate is a waste when those credits could go to extracurricular classes. It would give students a chance to explore more topics they are interested in and it would provide the opportunity to explore different fields of study when students do graduate.

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

Bailey is a senior who loves dancing, writing, and acting. Bailey decided to join Q-Review because she loves the energy that the class provides and the...