Harvey Hops Onto The QHS Stage

Bailey Gasparovic, Staff Writer

Harvey is the story of the Dowd family. Elwood P. Dowd is a wealthy man who lives with his sister Veta and her daughter Myrtle Mae. Myrtle Mae is at a coming of age point in her life and is set to be married any day now, but her uncle Elwood is constantly introducing friends and potential suitors to his best friend who is a six foot tall white rabbit. Eventually Veta and Myrtle Mae have had enough and try to put Elwood in a sanitarium, only for the professionals there to confuse the crazy person to be Veta rather than Elwood.

This classic will soon take center stage here at QHS. While many students auditioned, 12 students received parts.

“There was a lot of strong male talent and they really competed hard against each other. [It was] really fun to watch them work so hard for something they were passionate about,” said director Meghan Buckley.

While we’ve seen some of these thespians take the stage before, we will also be seeing some new faces as well.

“I’m really excited because I have a lot of new faces, whether it’s new to the stage or new to larger parts, and I’m excited to see how they tackle these roles,” said Buckley.

Even though Harvey is a comedy, that doesn’t mean everything is laughable. As with any show there are different challenges that present themselves.

“There are two sets so we are going to build two sets. You can do it on a revolving stage, so you would build a stage that rotates, but we have decided that we are going to do two sets side by side [and] split the stage in half,” said Buckley.

As always, the QHS Theater Department hopes that putting on this show will not only entertain audiences of all ages but get more students involved in the future.

Harvey opens May 9 and continues through May 11.