The Dirt “flat out brought out everything Mötley Crüe was”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alec Eaton, Staff Writer

The Dirt is a 2019 Netflix adaption of the 2001 book The Dirt: Confessions of the World’s Most Notorious Rock Band written by the band members themselves. The movie follows the lives of the Mötley Crüe band members, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, and Vince Neil, and how they came to be. The movie goes through the struggles of the band from when they started and deals with topics like drugs, violence, and death.

The movie stars Douglas Booth (Nikki Sixx), Iwan Rheon (Mick Mars), Machine Gun Kelly (Tommy Lee), Daniel Webber (Vince Neil), and Pete Davidson (Tom Zutaut). The movie didn’t do too well with critics as they said it “softened” the group. Some of the critics flat out said the movie shouldn’t have been made at all. However, I really loved the movie because it was an action-packed, rock and roll, amazing biopic.

What I like about this movie, and where I disagree with the critics, is that this movie flat out brought out everything Mötley Crüe was. Sure, they had to cut some things out, but that was because people wouldn’t want to watch the stuff that was cut out. The movie showed actual reactions from when Vince had to go in AA and when Tommy cheated on Heather. Also, it brought in characters who, although not part of the band, had a huge impact on what the band became. The one thing I hate about this movie is that they made up characters to make the movie longer and to replace their real-life counterparts because of legal reasons.

Some students might not be able to watch the movie as it has a TV-MA rating and shows disturbing images.

I rate this movie an 8/10 because the movie showed the small side of Mötley Crüe and also the actors break character and explain further than what the movie covers.