Harry Potter: Amazing or Magically Terrible?

May 2, 2019

“Harry Potter is the Worst.”

Harry Potter is an infamous series of books and movies written by J.K. Rowling that many fans hold close to their hearts. I have never read a Harry Potter book or seen the movies, and from an outside view, Harry Potter is weird, and I don’t like the appeal at all.

The plot is just a hot mess. One of the major reasons I haven’t gotten into the Harry Potter brand is probably because of how deep and intricate the plot is. I’m aware of how convoluted and complicated it is, and that scares off readers and moviegoers. I think that makes this entire saga unattractive to people looking to join this fandom. It makes it difficult.

I understand that because I haven’t read any of the books or seen the movies that I’m not at liberty to criticize the movies or books themselves. I’m criticizing how complicated the plot is. It doesn’t feel like a good way to bring in new fans.

If we’re talking about weird, the worst thing about Harry Potter that I’ve observed is the fans. I’m not saying that the fans are bad; some of my best friends are obsessed with Harry Potter. I just mean to say that when it comes to the saga, they can be VERY defensive of this character and his story. I’ve seen how obsessed fans get about that, and while I commend their enthusiasm, I sometimes question their actions.

The fanbase of Harry Potter can be erratic from time to time. They get mad about the smallest errors of the timelines and lore, and for some reason they hate Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindelwald with a passion. I’m not sure why though; Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindelwald is the only Harry Potter movie I’ve seen, even though I know many fans do not consider it a Harry Potter movie. I thought it was okay, but online fans seem to rage that this movie was even made.

J.K. Rowling herself has even had some insane backlash from her fans about the smallest changes to the story. The story SHE created. For instance, Dumbledore’s sexuality. When J.K. Rowling announced on Twitter that Dumbledore was gay, and that she just didn’t put it in the books, the fanbase spiraled. Everyone was SUPER mad, when it literally does not matter in the whole scheme of things.

I understand that fandoms love their characters and their story. But topics like Dumbledore’s sexuality really pushes it.

I don’t like Harry Potter. I can’t help it. The story is way too complicated and the fanbase is questionable at best. I plan to read the books and see how my opinion changes, but as of now, Harry Potter is the worst.

Harry Potter is the Best

Harry Potter written by J.K. Rowling first hit the shelves in 1998 before ending with 7 books in all. The books were so good that they were adapted into eight movies and two spinoff movies. I’ve read every book and watched every movie, so I can say that Harry Potter is the best.

For starters, the plot is amazing. The books stay within the life of Harry Potter and his experiences as a wizard. The books also only have one villain and that’s all the books need. Harry Potter doesn’t need multiple villains if the villain in the first book hasn’t had their story told or hasn’t died. Sure, more villains come and go, but all the stories still have Voldemort as their main villain.

Also, the book has a bunch of characters that fit almost every stereotype. Harry Potter, the hero. Ron Weasley, the hero’s friend who gets the girl. Hermione Granger, the know-it-all who happens to be the girl in the end. Draco Malfoy, the rich kid/spoiled brat who becomes bad but finds his way. And Albus Dumbledore, the master who helps Harry. There are more characters to go around but you get the idea.

Plus, the fans are amazing. Steve Petrick, a 22-year-old from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania won the title of World’s Biggest Harry Potter Fan when entering a contest by uploading a video showing his three rooms filled with Harry Potter memorabilia. He knows everything there is about Harry Potter and dressed up as Harry Potter too.

Finally, the books had decent adaptions to the big screen. Each of the books had a movie adaption with book seven having two parts made. The movies were amazing, and each made almost a billion dollars worldwide. The movie stars Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermine Granger), Rupert Grant (Ron Wesley), Alan Rickman (Professor Snape), and Richard Harris (Albus Dumbledore).

Harry Potter stays within their targeted audience’s age. The books stick with the plot of the story and isn’t really filled with bad or inappropriate things.  With this knowledge, Harry Potter is the best ever.

Q-Review • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in