Ag Program Returns After 30 Years

FFA members at their auction.

FFA members at their auction.

Lauren Schafer

Lauren Schafer

FFA members at their auction.

Lauren Schafer, Staff Writer

Lauren Schafer
Daniel Goodman, senior, and Camden Uplinger, senior, stand with Mark Pfleiger, QAVTC Director, at the FFA auction.

FFA and the agricultural program have been gone for 30 some years but teachers and students are glad it is back.

“[One of the big reasons] the program came back is because we needed to add more science electives for the freshman and Ag was one of those science electives,” Kelly Weiman, teacher, said. “We thought the students needed a fully rounded Ag experience and that is another reason we added these classes.”

Intro to Ag is the first class you need to take in order to have a fully rounded Ag experience. If you want to be in FFA, you also need to take an Ag class.

Weiman also said that the trips they take give students a fully rounded Ag experience as well as benefit their academics.

“They meet new people, have college opportunities through networking, have a first hand Ag experience, and learn life skills,” Weiman said.

Daniel Goodman, senior, said that these classes have helped Ag become more of his life.

“I have early release and these classes have kept me in school. I work on a dairy farm and Ag has helped me to meet new people through [the class] as well as other events. We set up booths at lunch and I tell others about it,”Goodman said.

Kayla Walker, sophomore, Reese Harvey, freshman, and Goodman all said the got involved with Ag because it was a new class, they love Ag and they thought it sounded like fun. They all also said that Ag has helped them with job interviews and knowing the basics of Ag. They tell people during the day about Ag and promote Ag during lunch at the booths.

Weiman said the only way to get involved is to sign up.

Ag Program Returns After 30 Years